An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Friday, August 7, 2009

Wide Awake With No Sleep In Sight

Another sleepless night with thoughts parading around in my head like Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. One trailed after another in a succession as brightly and elaborately decorated as any float could be. Just as soon as one would clear my thoughts another would be right behind it. How I wish at times sleep would come to me as easy as the thoughts that keep me awake. Seems the harder I try not to think, the more thoughts come.

I even tried replacing one thought with another, trying to bottleneck them, confuse myself hoping that it would stop. I did succeed in confusing myself, but I failed at stopping the thoughts, they came like a tidal surge before a hurricane. Pulling my pillow over my head, pressing it hard against my head trying to not think. I tried and tried to distract myself, shaking my foot, reading, listening to the radio, still the thoughts persisted and the night drug on slowly. No sleep tonight.

I resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to sink into a restful slumber so I decided to take a shower and put on a pot of coffee and go fetch the paper. Funny how miniscule my problems are when I read about events going on around the world, wars, droughts, famine, sickness and the list just keeps getting longer and longer. New fuel for thoughts I guess, something else to keep me awake at night thinking about.

As I sat and read the paper and drinking my coffee and knowing that what I am reading is not much different than what I read the day before and will not be much different when I read it tomorrow. You would think by now that we would learn from history. Guess I will mull it over in bed tonight.

Later...

Stories posted here are the exclusive property of the Smiling Pig. No other use or reproduction of the content contained here is permissible without written prior consent.

No comments:

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...