An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Seriously?

I received a call recently from a holding and investment firm interested in talking to me about an available IT position they are needing to fill. I thought all was going well, a good raport was developed and things seemed to be clicking off fine as to my experience and knowledge. I kept hearing perfect, awesome, great experience, etc...etc...etc. I really started feeling excited about this position. I mean pay was acceptable, benefits looked good, i.e.: health package, dental, vision, 401K, short term and long term disability, FLA, FMLA and regular reveiws, what more could one ask for in a starting position. They then starting telling me that they were the exclusive recruiter for this firm and they thought I would make a great fit, asking how soon I could start to work, would I submit to a drug screen (which I made add in Texas you are supposed to be on the payroll when submiting for a drug screen) and full background check? 
So I said "Sure, I wouldn't mind at all. This is a normal requirement, set me up." 
Then came, "Would you mind taking a typing assessment test? We require 45 words per minute to qualify for the position. If you are still interested I will send you the link as soon as we finish this interveiw." 
I informed them I wouldn't mind at all taking an assessment test. 
"Great sir, I really appreciate it. I will get you the link within five minutes of the conclusion of this interview. One more thing though, we require a credit report on you that you will need to obtain and supply. Do you have a problem with that?" 
"A credit report for what?" was my reply. 
"Well the position is with a holdings and investment firm and your credit worthiness is very important to our client." was the reply.
"Does the position you called me about require me to complete money transactions?" I asked.
"No sir. it doesn't." was the reply I received.
"Please repeat the position again that you called me about." I requested of the caller.
"Network support and connectivivity." they asnswered.
"Will I have access to customer accounts and financial information?" I queried further of them.
"Oh no sir, not at all." came their reply.
"So I won't be cleared to view the client's information at all?" I continued.
"No sir you won't. You will just make sure they can connect to their accounts." was the reply.
"So at some time in the future will I be asked to submit to any line of credit or investment opportunities?" I drilled.
"No sir, it is against company policy."  came their reply.
"So please tell me what my credit worthiness has to do with you asking me to fill the position you called me about. I would think my lack of ever being prosecuted, charged with or convicted of embezzlement, larceny, fraud, failure to disclose, theft or even a traffic ticket offense would be more than enough to satisfy my "worthiness" in obtaining this position. Wouldn't you agree?" came my somewhat cynical answer.
"I understand sir. If you are not interested in the position, would you happen to know three or four other people that are looking for a job that has the same technical background as you?" they asked.
"Oh, so now you want me to do your job too." I came back with. "Seriously?"

Needless to say, I was no longer interested.   


Stories posted here are the exclusive property of the Smiling Pig. No other use or reproduction of the content contained here is permissible without written prior consent.

No comments:

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...