An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Past...

It seems no matter what we do to try and put our past behind us, it seems to always be there. Strange that something that was seems to be there all the time. If there is something there not to remind you, there is someone around who will. Some people cannot let go of the past and enjoy reliving it or living in it. No matter how hard we try and put it behind us, it always seems to be there right in front of us. Strange it seems to me. Not to say memories do not have their place in our life or that lessons are not learned, but it would seem to me that certain things are best left there and not constantly being disturbed to trouble us and taunt us. Maybe it does so to remind us about our mistakes or that we have yet to learn the lesson it is trying to teach us.

Some cannot help but to keep bringing your past up for you, not necessarily the ones you have had a history with, but rather those you have confided in. As if they enjoy watching another relive the pain that seems to weigh on them. I cannot understand or fathom their reasoning behind this, but to me it is almost sadistic to want to see another suffer. I think the only ones who have that right to do so are the ones who have a past to share, not those who want to share in your past.

What was, was, what is is now, what will be is yet to be seen. Why can't things be left in that order? To live for the present, plan for tomorrow and leave the past behind. But it seems that some just cannot let go or will not let you let it go.

The most tender moments and the most painful see to be in our past. I am not saying the past is not important, it is part of our self evolution that makes us who we are, lets us grow, gives us knowledge and teaches us wisdom. It can open our eyes or blind us depending on how we see it. Our past is just that, our past, what was, it may play on today and what is to be depending on the person and what they have gleaned from it, it can be beneficial and detrimental, it can be an escape or a prison, it can be a comfort or a source of pain. A Pandora's Box full of fears, dreams, broken promises, lost loves.

Whatever the reasons we choose to use our past, whatever we have learned from it or failed to learn, it is ours and we have to live with it. What I have learned that it is best to keep my past to myself and not share it with anyone except that one you have a past to share with.

Later...

2 comments:

Jazz said...

I won't mention the past..
opps, I did!

The past is there, it is unchangeable and what happened, happened.
Perhaps like some nations, we would try to re-write it if we could, and you know, we always do.
I remember on my interview for my position with 'JJ' that I embellished my personal history a little and played down the bad parts and glorified the good. Like any small community, net world and the people who know you and of you - same as magazine journalism and they know of me and my publishing and of course the rumours of my past demise.
Don't hide it, just take the positive from it.

So when you say you are reminded of....
It has to be the way you see your own past.
No need to beat yourself for this or for that. It will change nothing.
See what you did do positively and gain happiness, smiles and learned experience from that.

The past does not have to be looked on as a bad thing, otherwise if that's the only way to see it, it becomes your hell and your torment and we know we cannot escape that because we cannot run away and hide from ourselves.

Life, today, yesterday and yet to come is how you see it.

Smiling Pig said...

lol..oops is right and I make a lot of them.

Yes the past is as vivid as the present and as vague as the future. I agree that we should expound on the good things, our accomplishments, moments that bring a sense of peace or a smile to our face. But that is not all that makes up our past and like a traveler through time it is baggage we cannot leave behind, where we go, it goes. And as such, when start to unpack that baggage, we must choose wisely which garment to wear or how we want to present our past.

Even though the past is unchangeable, it does give us the ability to shape our future.

Hmmmm...why is it that went you comment on one of my posts, I feel I left it incomplete?...

Thank you Jazz, I always appreciate your candor and wisdom.

Ron

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...