An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Too Many Candles, Not Enough Cake


Today I celebrate another year of life on this planet, if celebrating is what you want to call it. A milestone, life marker and another year behind me. We mark our time on earth by the passing of 365 days and 366 every forth year. Some look forward to it, especially those under the age of consent and others seem to count any new aches and pains that they have accrued since their last birthday. For some, they never can seem to get past 39.

I am reminded on this day not of what it means, but rather something my oldest grandson said once. We had lit the candles on the cake and we were all gathered around the table, right before blowing out the candles he looked at me with the most serious look a child could have and said, "Big fire grandpa." It all sunk home right away and I thought to myself then that would only be getting bigger as the years pass. Before long a fire extinguisher will be a requirement next to the cake and soon I won't have to have icing on the cake, just light the candles and let them burn a while, soon the melted wax will coat it enough. Another thought is just go ahead and pour the raw batter in the cake pan and the heat from the candles will have baked it in no time at all. I guess getting older also means getting greener.

I was wondering how to better accept the fact that I am getting older this morning while lying in bed and it struck me, stop using simple math. 16x4-10=54, the first thing anyone will notice is 16. Plus by subtracting 10 years it helps to make it look as if I have been credited a decade. So maybe it doesn't look so bad after all and makes it a bit more acceptable.

I was thinking with all of the candles on the cake, sunglasses should be given out before lighting them. That would definitely help
protect eyes and after all you should never look directly into the sun. I would hate to think that I was the cause for burning someone's retinas. I should also call and see if I will need a permit for burning so many candles, I would not want to violate and city ordinances. Seems the older I get the more safety issues come into play.

Think I will just break out the martini shaker, close the curtains and just skip this year...too much adieu about nothing.

Later...

No comments:

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...