An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Change of Season


The weather has finally started its change, the almost intolerable heat is abating and giving way to cooler, dryer weather as Autumn makes its presence known. The leaves on the trees have started changing color and shedding their multi-hued yellows, reds, oranges and browns in a dappled carpet beneath the limbs that bore them. There is a crispness to the air and early morning seems to remind me that cooler weather is yet to come.

I took a nice long walk early evening and looked about as people decorated their porches, walkways and front yards with pumpkins, scarecrows, hay shocks and other reminders of the fall season. It is probably my favorite time of the year. The aromas associated with it, the colors that paint and the sounds that narrate it. Looking up to the sky the geese and ducks fly south to their winter homes, squirrels stocking up nuts and seeds for the colder days ahead and song birds filling the branches waiting for the feeders to be filled. A wonderful and magical time of the year as the death of summer lends to life's renewal when spring makes its appearance.

I watched as children played on tire swings suspended from a high limb by a single rope and then jumping off into a pile of freshly raked leaves and scattering them, the wind gusts picking them up and scattering them down the block into neighboring yards. The laugh as they played chase and tag, the leaves scattering at their feet and their parent's smiles as their antics bought back memories of their younger yesterdays.

It seems that all living things sense this special time of the year, even pets seem to enjoy the cooler temperatures, the change in the season seems to bring a change in them.

Yes, I love this wonderful time of the year, this season of change and vibrancy with all it has to offer one's senses.

Stories posted here are the exclusive property of the Smiling Pig. No other use or reproduction of the content contained here is permissible without written prior consent.

6 comments:

Noha said...

A change of seasons signifies the continual of life's vibes. People who love autumn shows the warmth they have for life. Glad to know you are still positive despite setbacks. I do enjoy every entry you made. Keep urself warm.

Jazz said...

A well written account of your introduction to the fall.
What about your younger days?
Didn't you want to go have a swing on that tire, were you not tempted?

Enjoy the autumn, each season brings out its own unique and distinct beauty.

Smiling Pig said...

Thank you Nora, I appreciate your kind comment.

Smiling Pig said...

Thank you Momo, your comments are always appreciated. Funny you should mention younger days, I just happened to be writing a story about "chasing lizards".

Yes, I was tempted to have a swing on that old tire as I did when I was younger, now if I could convince my body I could do it.

monkey said...

hey gramppy will you please email me on cassiewlsn@aol.com
its k'lynn weber

Smiling Pig said...

I sent you and email K'Lynn..thank you for finding me on here..tell Caleb and Sarah hello for me and I think of all of you often...

Grandpa..

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...