An Echo

in our life we say, there comes a time, there comes a day...when all is over, said and done...no words spoken can mend, no promise made can assure...our eyes are opened, we've met the end...
It is not the quantity of friends that we have that is important, but rather the quality of those friends we do have...

Sunday, May 25, 2008

When is a Lie a Lie?

I was about to sign off this morning after talking to someone I have yet to miss a day talking to for the past two plus years when someone I talk to occasionally logged on. This person I have always enjoyed talking to. Their wisdom far exceeds their age and I have always valued their opinion.

We did not talk about lies or "untruths" but the jist of the conversation got me to thinking afterwards, at what point is a lie considered a lie? When I think back about it, I believe the first lie I ever heard and the first I repeated was, "I don't lie." The more I thought about it the more I realized that at some point we all lie or have lied. And I also realized that we will go through life repeating that. Whether it is for ourselves or for someone else something will present itself that will put us into a position that we feel like the truth would better be left unsaid. It could be that we do not want to hurt someone's feelings, or that we are avoiding talking about something, that by telling the truth would get us deeper into some sort of trouble we would like to stay shy of, for whatever the reason a lie will be told. Some will feel guilty and remorseful about it, while others won't think twice about it.

Does it take lack of a conscious to lie and not feel bad about it? Does it take conditioning to build a callous about you so that it does not bother you? Yes, I have lied, more times than I can count, more times than I care to remember and seeing how I have always been told a lie is remembered much longer than the truth, it makes me wonder if the lies I have told out number the truths. I think I mainly lie to avoid things, like facing the truth or avoiding the inevitable circumstances that telling the truth might manifest. For some and maybe for me telling a lie is much easier than telling the truth. I do not feel comfortable about it when I do, whether it is to someone close to me or a stranger. It is not something that is rehearsed or thought about and I definitely do not like back tracking on a conversation trying to remember what I have told someone as a lie. Then there is that fear of being caught in the lie and if at that point you will confess it or cover it up with another lie.

Are there different levels of lies? We have all been told or have said, it was just a little white lie, nothing bad. But is there a distinguishable difference in the type of lie that is told? Personally I don't think there is, I believe a lie is a lie no matter how you look at it and that there is no such thing as a little lie. And is it a good thing to avoid the truth to keep from hurting someone's feelings? Would it make them feel better to know the truth had been kept from them and then finding out that what they were told was a fabricated truth? That would be very superficial of them if they did. But none the less I have found myself guilty of that on various occasions. Telling myself it was for their own good or that old, what they don't know won't hurt them. I think it compounds the situation and would make hearing the truth much harder on them, especially if it was from another source, because the first person they are going to confront is the person who told them the lie and not what we felt we were shielding them from.

Staying on this path of thought I took it a bit further. When we do not present ourselves for who we really are, does that constitute a lie? Trying to deceive another of our identity. I will use the web and the various messenger services offered as an example. What is the first thing we do? We create an ID, a pseudonym of who we are or how we want to be seen. Some create multiple ID's and then use them to gain information on another or to see if they are being talked about. Would not deceit in this manner be considered a lie? We are not being truthful as to who we are, we are secreting ourselves away and hiding behind a fictional ID. How can one say they never lie when they are not showing who they actually are? Everyone knows me by my given name, I do not care what I do, that is how they know me. I have only changed my ID once, the one I am presently using, but my given name is there, not one I have made up. Some say they do it to protect themselves and to keep people from bothering them, if they are all that honest wouldn't telling the person in the beginning curb a lot of that and set those "boundaries" as to how you expect to be treated?

When do we start lying? When or at what point in our lives do we discover that telling a lie will circumvent getting into trouble? For me it was to avoid punishment from my parents and school teachers. I mean back then they were considered authority figures, ones who wielded a lot more power than I had, until I learned the power that a lie wielded. I had yet to learn at that time the flip side of that coin, the consequences when you were confronted with the lie you told. Once I found out I could get away from certain responsibilities with a lie and especially not getting caught, I found my lies more brazen and easier offered than the truth. And it wasn't as if I was the only one who was lying. I heard the excuses everyday, some very familiar to me. I do not know how many times my dog ate my homework, even the times when I didn't even have a dog, but he still ate my homework. How many grandparents do we normally have? For most only four, but yet mine died multiple deaths. We have all skipped school, when you went back did you tell the office the reason you weren't in school was because you skipped going that day, or did you offer a note from your parents that you drafted and signed one of their names to? Or that lie we told to spark jealousy in someone else or to turn one friend against another, yes a rumor, but again isn't that just renaming what it really is? To gain the favor of another we have told lies.

We have carried that concept on into our adult lives too. Bill collector calls, you want to avoid them, "Tell them I am not here." "I put the check in the mail yesterday." "I just opened a new account and they have not transferred funds yet." You call your significant other, "I am working late tonight, don't wait up for me." You tell you significant other "I don't know how that got in there, someone at work must have put it in my pocket." "It isn't what you think." The list goes on and on.

I have never been ashamed of who I was, just a specific situation I was in and yes, I lied then too. As we all have. Whether in a relationship we were wanting out of or trying to avoid responsibility, a lie was told. I am not quick to point out the lies of another, that brings it too close to home for me and I honestly feel it is not my place to do so. But none the less I know I have been lied to. We all embellish stories to make them more interesting, especially if we are the focal point in it or to downplay ourselves in it. We have lied to pull ourselves out of the middle of something or to divert attention away from us and on to something or someone else. We have offered others up as sacrifices through lies.

Countries, dynasties, legacies, friendships and relationships have been built on lies in the past and they will continue to do so in the future. No matter how honest we like to think we are or to get others to think of us as, we will lie in some shape form or fashion. We will lie to hide something, to avoid something, to escape something or for the plain reason we cold not think of anything else to say. I am not condoning it, but I am not going to be the one judging another for it. We just have to learn to accept the good things we see in the other person and go from there.

So at what point does a lie become a lie? There is a saying, "You can fool some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time." But it has been tried ages beyond eons. If the whole believes it and you are the only one who knows it is a lie, does that make it a lie? If it isn't a lie, but rather a dream or a wish, would that be a lie? If it is nothing more than what you believe, is it a lie? And if repeated enough to where you believe what you are saying, is it still a lie?
Nothing is easier than self deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true....

I guess Sir Walter Scott said it best, "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

Later...

2 comments:

Jazz said...

Hmm, I was thinking that was me? I checked my records and we spoke on the 25th. I checked my message archive to see what we discussed.

The very last line (before you say 'sweet dreams', was this... "well..she failed to post everything..as she said she would do...and if she would have, there would have been another opinion..so I am not going to worry about it..."

It's all to easy to post a conversation and then edit it to perhaps to justify some reason. I can't know exactly what she said or what you said and its really no business of mine other than perhaps we can discuss the incident as friends. But I shouldn't judge her or you.
I could mention my secret chat ID of the pinay girl when a strange man spoke to me (ha ha ha). But no need for that.I know some people in the chat-room still rely on chat records and treat them as ultimate records written in stone, little realizing how easy it is to edit them.

Lies happen all the time.Some are nothing to worry over like the lie of Santa to a child or me saying I didn't organize a party for your birthday to Hitomi when in truth I secretly have!
Most lies don't worry me. If the guy trying to buy me a drink says he's a pilot when really he's a truck driver, I don't mind at all. I am not one to shatter his dream unless he catches me in a terrible mood.

The only lies I don't like are ones where people say that I said such a thing when in truth I did not and that could be a terrible misunderstanding on their part and that's forgivable. But to purposely misquote me is despicable and I would have to consider their reasons and also have to explain to the person told that I did not say it at all.
Lies that hurt, mislead or are designed to cheat you are lies of the worst kind.
A lie like this to a single person is nasty, a lie of this nature to many, like false advertising is a crime and a lie like that to a nation by a government is the worst of crimes, yet they happen too.

To be found out in a lie in a deceitful nature might lower the value of trust people place in you, but we live each day in the close company of small harmless lies.

"Oh, I'm full, you please take the last piece of chicken and don't let it waste!"

I can admit that I have lied too. And that's the truth! {pokes out tongue}

Good blog Ron, very thoughtful and insightful. I like it.
Thank you.

Smiling Pig said...

Dear Jazz, The first paragraph was you. The thought was just that, what we talk about often leads me to thinking, which is good. It causes me to take a deeper look at myself and what things I need to address.

Yes, we all lie to an extent and I guess that is only human nature that we do, whether to protect ourselves or to impress others, eventually we get caught up in one. I am not judging anyone in that respect, people have their own reasons and I normally just leave it at that. And as I said, I am in no position to judge anyone for their actions. I am as guilty as the next.

Yes, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, even to our children we tell the little childhood lies that most have been told and I think this is where it becomes acceptable to the child that to lie is okay. Even I have thought about that when I was younger and found that these were nothing more than fairy tales, which maybe I tried to use as a justification for lieing. We teach or try to teach our children right from wrong, but to a child a lie is a lie and often do not differentiate the difference. I have seen the hurt in my own daughter's eyes when I was forced to tell the truth about something to her, not that I made a habit of lieing to her, quite the contrary, but I would think afterwards, maybe I should not have told her the truth, but then again, what would that have accomplished? Nothing more than her seeing me as something less than who I am. So I consider a child's resiliency now and feel it is better to tell them the truth and let it go from there. I honestly believe a child is better at handling the truth than most adults.

When I am lied about I just consider the source now and their reasons for saying what they did. I stopped losing sleep about things like that a long time ago. It is something I have no control over and for those who know me, they will make their own assessment of what is said. If they choose to believe it or not, that is entirely their decision. Do I defend myself when I am lied about? No I don't, as said those who know me or who mean something to me know the truth or have accepted me for who I am. Life is short and that small amount of time we are allotted is too precious to get caught up in what someone say about me. Even though to others it may change the way they see me, those who matter most will or should already know me.

As always Jazz, I enjoy your comments and input and your honesty.

May peace be upon you while the storms of life are all around.

Love,
Ron

An Echo....

When you find you are lost, always go back to where you started...